NEET 2017: Petition to roll back age criteria filed in Supreme Court
Latest News : 10/02/2017 – NEET 2017: Petition to roll back age criteria filed in Supreme Court
A petition to roll back the age criteria for the National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test (NEET) for undergraduate courses has been filed in the Supreme Court on Friday. The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare’s decision to introduce age and attempt cap for NEET has students up in arms across the state.
The petitioner, 27-year-old Sabyasachi Rai, qualified NEET last year but did not take admission as he could not afford the fees of private medical college. “My father was ready to sell our ancestral land. I decided to go for another attempt but with the unexpected announcement on age criteria, I have become ineligible to take the exam. I am not demanding job from the government but my basic right for education,” said the son of a farmer.
The petition, to be listed on February 17, states that the government should take back the new rules on age and attempt.
News Update : 3/02/2017 – Three attempts ceiling will start from NEET-2017 medical entrance exams, earlier attempts will not be counted
However, the three attempts, age and other criterias remain same.
In a U-turn, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has clarified the NEET 2017 will be counted as first attempt for all the candidates, irrespective of their previous attempts in AIPMT/NEET. Earlier, the CBSE has announced that aspirants who have already given AIPMT and NEET 2016 over three times are ineligible to appear for the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test.
“It was prescribed that the candidates who have already availed permissible three attempts will not be able to apply for NEET-2017.
The upper age limit of the candidates appearing for NEET (UG) has been fixed at 25 years on the date of conduct of examination. A five-year relaxation has been given to the reserved category candidates.
This year in all the seats of MBBS and BDS courses, admission will be made through NEET (UG) 2017, according to CBSE.
Around 10 lakh candidates are expected to appear in the NEET examinations which would be held in 1500 examination centres spread across 80 cities across the country. CBSE will hold NEET-UG, 2017 for the first time for admission in MBBS and BDS courses.
However, the three attempts, age and other criterias remain same. In a press release, CBSE has announced that all candidates who could not fill up the application form due to the condition of three attempts at AIPMT/NEET will now be able to fill up their application form.
The registration process began on Tuesday, January 30, and will go on till March 1. Candidates should be 17 and not older than 25 to give the entrance examination.
Last year, NEET was made mandatory for admission in all medical and dental college.
More on the news:
- “The health ministry said NEET-2017 shall be counted as the first attempt, irrespective of the previous attempts in AIPMT/NEET,” according to a statement in HT
- “Issue of number of attempts in NEET sorted out. Clarification received from MoHFW/MCI that NEET 2017 will be treated as first attempt and two more will be given. CBSE is updating this on website (sic),” HRD minister Prakash Javadekar tweeted
- “The matter relating to approval of recommendations of the (MCI) executive committee limiting the number of NEET attempts is yet to be placed before the general body of the council,” said Reena Nayyar, MCI secretary
As per the reports, over 10 lakh students are likely to appear for NEET on May 7. The registration procedure has already begun and will conclude on March 1.
- Scheduled dates for online submission of application: January 31 to March 1
- Last date for successful final transaction of fee: March 1
- Date of uploading of admit cards on website: April 15
- Date of examination: May 7
- Declaration of result: June 8
News Source : Hindustan Times