Looking for the first-ever job is a difficult task. To top it all, when you are an international student, it can be a highly daunting task. There are specific language barriers to deal with. Moreover, you are also expected to come up with a compelling resume to appeal the hiring managers. Therefore, you should be aware of the essential resume writing tips for different countries.
As an international student, you need to learn how to format the resume as per the specific standards of the given country. Your resume is going to be the first thing that hiring managers look into when you will apply for a job abroad. This is why it is important to ensure that your resume shines out amongst others. Here are some essential resume writing tips for international students. Check here:
- Focus on a Single-page Resume: In some cases, you might believe that the longer the resume is, the higher will be your chances of getting recruited. However, it is not so. The trick to effective resume writing is to input all vital information in a brief and comprehensive manner. As such, the format of the single-page resume turns out to be the ideal one.
Most of the modern recruiters prefer going through a single-page resume. This is because there can be time limitations upon going through all the resumes for multiple applicants for a single job application. To top it all, when you present a concise, well-detailed resume in front of the recruiters, it will prioritize your individual strengths while delivering only meaningful information.
- Summarize the Qualifications: Begin your resume with a proper summary of who you are, what your qualifications are, something about your professional track, and the reason why you are qualified for the given internship or job position. For the qualification summary, you can design it as a cover letter in maximum 3-4 sentences.
Recruiters mostly like to know something more about the applicants –beyond the overall experience. Are you facing troubles while creating your qualification summary? You can come up with a dedicated career action plan to ensure that resume-writing becomes a seamless task. It will also offer you a better understanding of your qualifications and strengths.
- Make Use of Proper Titles and Keywords: In the modern tech-based era, most companies are leveraging digital databases for searching for qualified candidates. This implies that HR professionals will run search queries on the basis of particular keywords. In case you are not familiar with the given set of keywords, then you can have a glance at the given job description. This will help you come across cues about the exact keywords or terms that the employer might be searching for.
As far as the titles in your resume are concerned, you should be careful about using them. Ensure that you are descriptive enough while describing the job positions in your past. The titles that you use should be relevant enough to catch the attention of the recruiters. For example, if you have worked previously in the field of business administration, then you should also mention the exact position along with the given field for which you had worked.
- Focus on Topography: When you are creating your resume, you should do it by keeping the readers’ viewpoint in mind. While different individuals might have different viewpoints or eyesight vision, it is recommended to focus on the overall topography as well. You can consider making use of large fonts that are visible for one and all. As per the resume writing guidelines for international students, the font size that you can use for your resume is 12 point.
As far as the font style is concerned, you have the freedom of choice for this one. However, it is still recommended to not go too informal in the font style. The safer choices for font styles are Times New Roman and Arial while designing your international resume. Another important factor to consider is that you should not use capital letter at all times. It will not help in communicating the desired message to the employers.
- Include Vital Information First: The order in which you create the resume also matters. The flow of information in the resume is a crucial aspect that most recruiters pay attention to. Therefore, you should place the most crucial information at the top of the resume. You should commence the writing by including your contact information, educational background, and relevant skills. When you are talking about skills, try to list some of the most important ones first.
- Make Use of Action Verbs: Action verbs are quite opposite to helping or linking verbs. In comparison to them, action verbs are regarded as great tools for communicating responsibility on your resume. However, it is advised that you should be careful at the same time while using action verbs.
This is because maximum bullet points in the resume tend to start with the same group of action verbs like handled, led, or managed. As an international student, your primary motive should be to gain the attention of the recruiters. Therefore, you should aim at making use of creative action verbs that help in expressing your professional responsibilities. This will allow your resume to outperform others.
- Maximize the Use of Numbers: Try quantifying your overall experience and qualifications whenever you are composing a resume. It offers the recruiters a sense of the overall scope and volume of your work-related experiences. Moreover, it also reveals that you are capable of backing up your claims with relevant data.
As an international student, it can be overwhelming to secure your dream job. However, with a compelling resume, you can achieve your dreams easily. Obtain a clear picture of your professional career and qualifications and then, jot them down meticulously in your resume. As you concentrate on the essential resume writing tips, it will allow you to place your best foot forward while applying for a job.