The work of Electrical engineers encompasses around a range of Technologies including household appliances lighting and wiring systems power transmission telecommunications and Satellite Communications.
Among 1.5 billion engineering pass-outs this year, only 37% become actual good engineers. If you have extensive interest in these areas then definitely you want to be a very good electrical engineer. But to become that, you need a lot more than just a theoretical knowledge and a degree.
Elements essential for becoming good electrical engineers.
Today we will be talking about some of the aspects which are absolutely essential for Electrical engineers to be the best in their fields.
While pursuing the degree the students need to learn about the electrical theory and get hands-on experience working with computer programming, mechanics, circuitry and thermodynamics. The students can also get experience in working in sectors like telecommunication engineering, and biomedical engineering to serve specific roles. Overall, there is a pool of subjects to explore if you really want to become a true electrical engineer.
But one must understand that before choosing the working sector, you have to give a clear knowledge about his own interests and areas of passion. Also, you have to remember that you need to bring a passing grade in the basics of engineering exams to work in your chosen profession.
Gain Experience Even While Learning
It is true that your academic knowledge is absolutely essential for you to be a very good electrical engineer. But also, your practical concepts also need to be clear so that while you are going for an interview you can have overall confidence on yourself.
It is important that you try participating in numerous internships and part-time jobs so as to gain experience over the others.
According to recent statistics, it has been revealed that on an average the Electrical engineers with more than 20 years of experience earn approximately 44% more than the average Electrical engineers and the freshers actually earn 9% less than the national average salary.
But it is a stunning fact that even with this kind of salary hike the individuals with over 20 years of experience move to other sectors. About 39% of Electrical engineers have around four years of experience and 25% have between 5 to 9 years of experience in the segment of electrical engineering.
You Need to Harness Your Skills
Electrical engineers need to harness numerous hard and soft skills in order to be the best in the job. There are certain attributes that I didn’t officially list on the job description of an electrical engineer but the employers do look for the following in the job candidates.
- Problem-solving skills- Electrical engineers should have the capacity of solving Complex problems and try rectifying the products which have been termed as a failure. They have to detect and analyze the problem and eliminate the causal agent in order to redefine the products and enhance its product quality.
- Creativity- Electrical engineers have to use their creative essence in order to emphasize the designing and modification of the programs that they create. It takes a lot of Creative flow to find new and innovative ways of Designing equipment according to the specific needs of the clients. Even modifying the programs need a lot of effort and innovative approach for the established engineers.
- Decision making- Electrical engineers need to be decisive about all the projects that they are working on as because the smooth running of the processes needs to have form and well-informed decision makers. Therefore it is an essential quality of every individual to have a good decision making quality in order to become an ideal Electrical engineer.
- Detailed analysis- Electrical engineers must have an eye for detail because their job role is to undertake precise work. Remember that a small mistake on your part can have serious consequences and can even prove to be fatal which is why you need to have an accurate eye to detect and troubleshoot problems.
- Commercial awareness- It is important for any individual Aspiring to become a good electrical engineer to be updated about the commercial trends and new inventions if they want to come up with the best solutions. The commercial scenario is changing every day and if an individual is not updated or flexible enough he or she might miss out on trivial details which can hamper his or her work adversely.
- Leadership skills as well as team collaboration- To create a benchmark you need to have leadership skills so that you can take charge of the programs as well as the team of employees who are undertaking the project. He or she should be able to plan how to allocate the resources and get the project completed under achievable budgets. Also, he or she should have the skill to manage the time and complete the project by the deadline.
- Written and oral communication skills- Electrical engineers often have the need of explaining projects and concepts to the people who do not have the specific knowledge over the same. Sometimes the explanations have to be done in written form and sometimes in the oral form so you have to have excellent written and oral communication skills in order to do ample teamwork.
- Ability to work in a collaborative manner- It is mandatory for Electrical engineers to work with other engineering field segments like mechanical engineers and computer science engineers. That is the reason why these individuals must have the capacity of working in a multidisciplinary team with various skill sets and technical knowledge and work in a collaborative manner to make the project successful.
Also, he or she should have a passion for mathematics technology and physics which is common for all the professionals and technicians in the field of Engineering. Passion for these subjects will definitely help you in grabbing the best of the jobs in the industry.
In a nutshell, working as an electrical engineer is a choice of immense reward and recognition for the people who love to be in the field of mathematics and Technology. If you can follow the above strategies then you will never go wrong in the path of being a great electrical engineer.