The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering [GATE] is one of the foremost names when it comes to master’s and doctoral level admissions and recruitments in prestigious institutions not only India but also abroad.
To be conducted by IIT Bombay this year, the GATE 2021 exam is due to be held on Feb 5th/6th/7th/12th/13th/14th 2021. The Engineering mathematics for GATE is one of the most demanding sections in the exam and in this article, we present the best tips and tricks which will help you answer the ‘how to prepare engineering mathematics for GATE’ question in the right way.
How to Prepare Engineering Mathematics for GATE: Exam Pattern
The GATE exam is a computer-based test with two major sections, namely, General Aptitude and Optional Subject. Of the 27 different subjects offered as Optional Subjects, Engineering mathematics for GATE questions comes under the ‘Engineering Sciences [XE]’ subject.Engineering mathematic also forms part of the syllabus of other subjects such as CS, EE, ME, etc. Moreover, you can choose either ONE or TWO Optional Subjects. More details have been tabulated below.
|Application Window||Sept 14th 2020 to Sept 30th 2020|
|Examination Mode||Computer-based test [CBT]|
|No. of Optional Papers||27|
|Sections||General Aptitude[GA] AND Candidate’s Chosen Subject|
|Questions Types||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)
Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) and/or
Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions
|Total No. of Questions||65 [10(GA) + 55(Optional Paper)]|
|Marking Scheme||Either 1 or 2 mark|
|Total Marks||100 [15 marks (GA) + 85 marks (Optional Paper)]|
|Total Time Duration||3 hours|
Engineering Mathematics for GATE Syllabus& Pattern
The engineering mathematics for GATE syllabus is a part of the ‘Engineering Sciences [XE]’ subject as well as CS, EE, ME, etc. In XE, Engineering mathematics for GATE questions is a mandatory section which carries 15 marks in total and you have to choose two more topics from the given choices for the rest 70 marks.
|Engineering Mathematics [Compulsory]||15|
|Fluid Mechanics/Materials Science/Solid Mechanics/ Thermodynamics/Polymer Science and Engineering/Food Technology/Atmospheric Sciences
[ANY TWO OF THE ABOVE]
How to Prepare Engineering Mathematics for GATE: Tips
Here are a few suggestions which will aid you in tackling the engineering mathematics for GATE questions head-on.
- Important Topics in Engineering Mathematics for GATE syllabus
|Linear Algebra [Algebra of matrices; Inverse & rank of a matrix; System of linear equations; Symmetric, skew-symmetric & orthogonal matrices; Determinants; Eigenvalues & eigenvectors; Diagonalization of matrices; Cayley-Hamilton Theorem]|
|Calculus [Functions of Single variable, Functions of Two variables, Sequence and Series]|
|Section 3 [all streams]||Vector Calculus [Gradient, divergence & curl; Line & surface integrals; Green’s theorem, Stokes theorem & Gauss divergence theorem (without proofs)]|
|Complex Variables [Analytic functions; Cauchy-Riemann equations; Line integral, Cauchy’s integral theorem & Integral formula (without proof); Taylor’s series & Laurent series; Residue theorem (without proof) and applications]|
|Section 5||Ordinary Differential Equations|
|Section 6||Partial Differential Equations [Classification of second-order linear partial differential equations; Method of separation of variables; Laplace equation; Solutions of one-dimensional heat and wave equations.]|
|Section 7 [all streams]||Probability and Statistics [Axioms of probability; Conditional probability; Bayes’ Theorem; Discrete & Continuous random variables: Binomial, Poisson and Normal distributions; Correlation and linear regression]|
|Section 8 [excluding CS]||Numerical Methods|
Note: Transform Theory is only for EE and ME, Discrete Mathematics is only for CS only.
- In Linear Algebra, you can expect to see questions on at least one of Eigenvalue Problems and Matrix Algebra. Remember the properties of Eigenvalues as well. In Calculus, Maxima and Minima account for a high weightage. Further, in Vector Calculus, stress on Gradient, Divergence and Curl and Vector Integral Theorems. Do not forget to be well-versed with the respective properties.
- Cauchy-Euler equation and Bernoulli equations are quite important when it comes to Differential Equations. Complex Functions is a relatively straightforward topic wherein concentrating on Cauchy-Riemann Equations for Analytic Functions and Residue Method of Integration will do the job for you. Probability is a tough nut to crack and while regular practice and mock tests are needed for the whole topic, thoroughly revise concepts Bayes’ Theorem, Random Variables and specific types of Distributions. Lastly, in Numerical methods, you must afford due attention to the Newton-Raphson method,Numerical integration by trapezoidal rule, Simpson’s rule and Gaussian Quadrature Rule.
- Engineering Mathematics for GATE Books: Engineering Mathematics Solved Papers by Made Easy Publications; Higher Engineering Mathematics by B.S. Grewal; HK Dass’Advanced Engineering Mathematics;Erwin Kreyszig’sAdvanced Engineering Mathematics; G.K Publications’ Engineering & Mathematics General Aptitude by; Nodia and Company’s GATE Engineering and Mathematics; Bandaru Ramana’s Higher Engineering Mathematics;RK Jain, SRK Iyengar’s Advanced Engineering Mathematics.
How to Prepare Engineering Mathematics for GATE: Key Takeaways
- Time Management: There 65 questions to be attempted in 180 minutes and this comes out to be around 166 seconds per question. This is in keeping with the demanding nature of not just the engineering mathematics for GATE questions but the overall paper difficulty. The trick is to stick to the per question rule, skim the questions at first marking all the familiar ones, get done with it at the start. This gives much-needed confidence. Leave 15-20 minutes in the end for revision at all costs.
- Creative Techniques: The vast and exhausting nature of engineering mathematics for GATE syllabus necessitates that you retain and recall a lot faster and with great precision. Incorporate innovative learning methods such as mnemonics, flow charts, diagrams, mind maps, quizzes, puzzles and games to memorize formulae and theorems. You can also take help of online video tutorials, assessment and feedback sessions and mock tests to cover important topics in engineering mathematics for GATE.
- Practice and Patience: During the last two months, you must include full-length timed mock tests as part of your preparation of important topics in engineering mathematics for GATE. Further, keep your confidence up, remain dedicated and don’t flinch from the sight of your goal.
The crucial tip we can give is to keep up your concentration levels throughput your preparation of important topics in engineering mathematics for GATE and give your best.