The Central Teacher Eligibility Test or CTET2021 is now slated for 31st January 2021. Conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education [CBSE], the CTET is a recruitment examination which paves the way for selected candidates to work as Primary and Upper Primary Teachers. It comprises of two papers, namely Paper 1 for Primary Level [Class 1-5] and Upper Primary Level [Class 6-8].
In this article, we shall provide you with the best CTET preparation tips and strategies as well as the most trusted books for the CTET 2021 Paper 1.
CTET Preparation 2021
The CTET examination is held offline with 150 multiple-choice questions. Paper 1 consists of five subjects, each containing 30 questions. Negative marking doesn’t apply. The following tabulates the details more clearly.
|Child Development & Pedagogy||30||30||
CTET Preparation 2021: Underlying Tactic
The CTET Paper is a test of subject knowledge as well as your understanding of how to teach a particular subject. Thus, while you are preparing for Language or Mathematics, try imagining the difficulties you face and connect it with what you learn in Child Development and Pedagogy [CDP]. Further, use the CDP tools to better understand and interpret the topics in other subjects. Further, the cut off typically goes up to 60%, that is, 90 marks and the overall difficulty level of the last year paper was adjudged to be at easy-moderate level.
CTET Preparation 2021:Child Development and Pedagogy
- CTET Important Topics: Development & relationship with learning, Principles of development of children, Socialisation Process, Assessment & Learning, Inclusive education and understanding children with special needs, addressing learners from diverse backgrounds, Learning & Pedagogy, Motivation & learning, Factors affecting learning, etc.
- Being the most significant part of the CTET 2021 exam, in this section, you are assessed upon your understanding of the teaching and learning process. The only way to achieve expertise over this section is by studying hard. Complement your books and materials with online resources and tools like short topic-based tests and teaching quizzes. An attempt of 21-24 questions correct is considered good.
- Best book for CTET preparation:Child Development and Pedagogy by Disha Publications; A Complete Resource for CTET: Child Development & Pedagogy by Pearson Education.
CTET Preparation 2021: Language 1 &Language 2
- CTET Important Topics: Reading Comprehension [Unseen Passages], English grammar, Pedagogy of Language Development, Language teaching principles, challenges faced in teaching language in a diverse classroom, language skills, evaluating language comprehension & proficiency, teaching-learning materials, challenges of teaching language, remedial teaching, etc.
- Language 1 [Hindi] and Language 2 [English] sections test your ability to understand the different elements of language and grammar, appreciate common usage, reading and interpretative proficiency and vocabulary. Apart from that, the principles of language learning and the difficulties faced in learning a language are also important topics. As per previous year’s paper, 22-25 in Hindi and 20-22 questions correct is typically enough.
- Unseen passages can fetch you easy marks. Try to recognise the components of a passage such as the topic, author’s idea and arguments, counter-arguments, figurative language, vocabulary and conclusion.
- Best book for CTET preparation: Study Package for CTET by McGraw Hill Education; Study Guide for CTET Paper 1 by Disha Publication.
CTET Preparation 2021: Mathematics
- CTET Important Topics: Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry, Money, Logical thinking, Language of mathematics, Understanding Children’s thinking styles and patterns, Community mathematics, problems of teaching, Error Analysis, etc.
- Holding grasp over fundamental mathematical operations such as BODMAS, Number System, Shapes and Figures etc. aids in two ways. You are not only confident in these topic-based questions but also in linking your subject knowledge with the teaching side of it.
- An attempt of 22-25 questions correct out of 30 will get your job done.
- Best book for CTET preparation: A Complete Resource for CTET: Mathematics & Pedagogy by Pearson Education
CTET Preparation 2021: Environmental Studies
- CTET Important Topics: Relationships, Family and Foods, work and play, Components of environment and other important terminologies, Scope and significance of EVS, the importance of environmental education, teaching approaches, pedagogical issues, practical projects, discussion.
- Along with knowing the various components of the environment and resources, you must also know the importance of environment and wildlife conservation. Further, try to figure out ways yourself as to how you can make it easier for students to understand. Take help of online resources such as puzzles, flow charts, diagrams, etc. to diversify your knowledge.
- 18-21 questions correct is enough to clear the cut off as per last year numbers.
- Best book for CTET preparation: CTET and TETs Environmental Studies & Pedagogy by Arihant Publications; Environmental Studies [EVS] by Wiley Publication
CTET Preparation Tips: Key Takeaways
- Time Management: You have 150 minutes to complete the CTET 2021 question paper of 150 questions. This translates into 1 minute for a question and that may be quite a crunch considering the complex nature of questions. If you cross the one-minute rule, mark the question for revision and come back to it later.
- Starting Approach: The way you start may decide the fate of your exam. Always begin with what you are comfortable with. Our suggestion: EVS, Your preferred Language, then Mathematics or Child Development and Pedagogy, [remaining of the two], Language [the second one]. This is one of the crucial CTET preparation tips
- Revision: More often than not, revision saves you 3-4 marks for sure. Leave 10-13 minutes in the end for revision or divide that into two phases of 5-7 minutes after two sections. Look out for silly mistakes, calculation errors and questions you may have left unchecked.
One of the most significant CTET preparation tips is to remain dedicated and patient towards your goal. Have trust in the effort that you have put in, don’t panic and gear up for your exam. Best of luck.