What is Prime Minister’s Fellowship Scheme for Doctoral Research 2019?
Prime Minister’s Fellowship Scheme for Doctoral Research 2019 is an initiative of the Indian government to inspire PhD scholars for integrated post doctoral research work in various fields and to cater their needs by providing financial assistance to them.
Who is offering this scholarship ?
Science and Engineering Research Board, Government of India provides this scholarship to PhD scholars for their post doctoral research work.
Who can apply for this scholarship ?
A candidate is eligible for this scholarship if:
- He/She is a PhD scholar from any recognized university of India.
- He/She should have a valid industry partner who is ready to support the research project financially.
- The mutually agreed topic of research should be innovative and have practical relevance to industrial applications.
What are the benefits ?
A total of 100 fellowships of INR 8.7 Lac per annum will be awarded to students. This means that the fellows will receive a monthly stipend ranging from INR 55,000 to INR 72,800 depending on the HRA.
- Last date of Online Submission of Application Form : Within 14 months of registration / admission to PhD.
- Announcement of Results: Updates on website.
- Signing of MOUs among selected PhD Fellows, Industry and Institutes: By March of each year.
- Release of Fellowship amount to Research scholar: From April of each year on a monthly basis.
How can you apply ?
- Step 1: Click here to register.
- Step 2: Fill in all required details and register.
- Step 3: Once registered, log in using registered email id and password.
- Step 4: Download Call for Proposal and Document Checklist
- Step 5: Make sure that all the required undertakings are duly signed up by the valid signatory of the allied company and by the host institute as well.
- Step 6: Collect all documents and make digital copies of each.
- Step 7: Complete the application form in all respect.
- Step 8: Finally submit the application form.
Online Registration – Direct Link
What are the documents required for the Prime Minister’s Fellowship Scheme for Doctoral Research 2019?
The applicants need to provide the following documents:
- Recent passport size photograph
- PhD enrolment and registration certificate
- High school and Intermediate certificates.
- Graduation/Post Graduation certificates
- Scan copy of other diploma certificates
- Profile of host institute
- PhD supervisor’s biodata (not more than three pages)
- Partner company’s profile and its logo
- Industry mentor’s biodata (not more than three pages)
- Undertaking from the Research Supervisor and Head of the Organization of the institute.
- Undertaking from the industry partner in the research project.
- Letter from the industry partner on the letterhead of the company with the research problem and the future plan for implementation details mentioned (if any).
What are the selection criteria ?
The applicants will be considered on the basis of:
- Innovation and high scientific merit with discrete R&D as opposed to exploratory investigation.
- High commercialization potential of the proposed project work.
- Track record of the applicant and its guide/mentor.
About the Scheme
Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) for human resource capacity building for industrial R&D has been recognised as one of the main deliverables by a Sub-committee of Prime Minister’s Council on Trade & Industry. One of the key recommendations that emerged from the Private Sector is to design, develop and implement a Doctoral Research Scheme under PPP for enhancing trust level in academia, research outfits and industry.
A special scheme for 100 ‘Doctoral Research Fellowships’ every year was announced during the Inception Ceremony of the Indian Science Congress Association, in June 2012 in Kolkata. Vide Prime Minister’s Office ID No–3646245/2012-ES-II dated 2 November 2012; the Prime Minister’s Office approved the proposal of naming the ‘SERB-CII Doctoral Fellowship Scheme’ as Prime Minister’s Fellowship Scheme for Doctoral Research. Subsequently, the Prime Minister’s Fellowship Scheme for Doctoral Research was formally launched at the ‘AICTE-CII University-Industry Congress & 4th Global Higher Education Summit’ held in New Delhi.
The Prime Minister’s Fellowship Scheme for Doctoral Research is a public-private partnership (PPP) between Science & Engineering Research Board (SERB), which is an autonomous body under the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India, and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
Fellowships have been conferred to 79 PM Fellows in the first 3 years with over 30 institutes and more than 50 companies coming together to support the scheme. It is envisaged that this scheme would eventually attract large number of talented students into pursuing PhD and on changing industry’s mind-set in investing in R&D and recruiting more PhDs.
Fellowship – Framework
- Up to 100 new Fellowships are provided every year
- 50% of the scholarship comes from SERB [being equivalent to the prevailing Government norms for Junior Research Fellow / Senior Research Fellow (inclusive of HRA)], which can be revised as per the JRF/SRF norms from time to time
- Rest 50% (matching equivalent of SERB component) comes from the partner company
- Duration of the Fellowship is four years
- If selected to receive the Prime Minister’s Fellowship for Doctoral Research, the candidate ceases to receive any other scholarship / salary from any other organisation, which he / she may be receiving at the time of enrolling into the scheme